CALL NOW: 301-656-6398
Conveniently located to serve Rockville, Annapolis, and McLean
Over the past few years, breast augmentation procedures have gained enormous popularity throughout the world. Next to liposuction, breast augmentation is the second most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the United States, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgery. Common reasons to consider the breast augmentation procedure include:
- Enlarging the breasts to make the body more proportional.
- Reshaping and enlarging breasts that have lost their shape due to breastfeeding.
- Balancing breasts that differ in size or shape.
Breast augmentation is performed in our outpatient facility under general anesthesia. A small incision is made under the breast or around the areola and the implant is inserted under the breast tissue and the underlying muscle. The patient is bandaged to hold the breasts in the correct position. Patients come back for a post-op visit 7-10 days after surgery for stitch removal.
Silicone or Saline Breast Implants?
Silicone: Since the reintroduction of silicone breast implants for cosmetic use in 2006, breast augmentation patients have increased choices to make. Together we will determine which implant is most appropriate. In general, several advantages of silicone include:
- Implants made with silicone have a more natural-looking and natural-feeling quality
- They can provide a shapelier contour for women with naturally small breasts.
- Silicone implants are very good for women who do not have a lot of soft tissue coverage as they will feel more natural and will have less visible rippling.
Saline: Saline implants are a popular choice for patients. For years they have been the only choice available for cosmetic breast enhancement in the United States. They are popular today for several reasons. Some include:
- No need for post-surgical follow-up imaging with MRI (a recommendation from implant manufacturers to detect any rupture to the implant).
- Saline implants are less expensive than Silicone.
- The implants can be placed via a smaller incision since they are filled in the body.
In my practice, I use three different types of incisions:
- Inframammary – an incision made at the crease on the underside of the breast.
- Periareolar – an incision is made around the areola, the darkly pigmented skin around the nipple.
- Through the lower abdomen during a concomitant tummy tuck. The implant is inserted through the tummy tuck incision-leaving no breast scars.
I am very thankful
“Dr. Cohen truly made me feel so comfortable and at ease during my surgery, all the way down to the very moment I was being put to sleep. He listened to & provided what I wanted regardless of what he had “envisioned” for me & that was a huge deal for me. I have tons of personal insecurities & both him & the staff at the Surgery center made me feel so beautiful and were all so warming & took such amazing care of me. His office & surgery center were both extremely clean & very nicely updated. I am very thankful.”
by Verified Patient
These incisions are used to minimize scar visibility. Scars will diminish over several months. Once the incision is made, I lift the breast tissue, create a pocket in the chest/breast area, and place an envelope containing a soft, implant material underneath either chest muscle.
After undergoing a breast augmentation, you will need someone to drive you home and assist you for the first few days after surgery. You will be wrapped with gauze bandages and placed in a surgical bra. You will need to wear non-underwire support or a sports bra continuously for several weeks. Your breasts will appear firm but swollen and will sit high on your chest at first. The implants will drop into a more natural position and shape as the swelling dissipates.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation
Ideal candidates for breast augmentation are women who are unhappy with the current size of their breasts and desire an increase in size. Patients undergoing the procedure should be in good physical health and have realistic expectations. Dr. Cohen will ask you about your medical history and discuss the medications you are currently taking to determine if breast augmentation is the right course of action for you.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
The cost of breast augmentation varies from patient to patient and depends on the type of breast implant used, the technique used to insert them, and the size. Dr. Cohen will develop a customized surgical plan to address your specific needs and discuss the associated cost of the procedure.
Contact Our Office
Breast augmentation is an excellent surgical option for women who want to improve the size of their breasts. If you’re interested in learning more about the surgery and how it can benefit you, contact our office to schedule your informative consultation today.
Related Blog Posts
Procedures are performed by Dr. Barry Cohen, Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon with great interest in cosmetic surgery. Procedures conducted in Rockville MD, and McLean, VA.